Archie Motley Memorial Scholarship for Minority Students
Scholarship Sponsored by Midwest Archives Conference
To provide financial assistance to minority students pursuing graduate education in archival administration and to encourage ethnic diversification of the Midwest Archives Conference and of the archival profession as a whole.
Award (2 awarded annually)
Scholarship of $1,500 and complimentary 1-year membership to MAC
There are eligibility requirements for both the applicant and the graduate archival program which must be met for consideration for this scholarship.
To be eligible for a scholarship, the applicant must be a student of African/African American, American Indian/Indigenous, Arab/Middle Eastern, Asian/Asian American, Latinx, or Pacific Islander descent; must be a student currently enrolled in or accepted in a graduate, multi-course program in archival administration; and must have a grade point average of at least 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) in their academic program.
If the program is not listed in the SAA Directory of Archival Education, the applicant must provide proof of the multi-course standard by submitting copies of course descriptions from the institution’s current departmental catalog.
Applications are due March 1, 2024 and must include the following documents:
- Completed Application Form (pdf)
- Current resume that includes education, work history, involvement in campus or community organizations, membership in professional organizations, and any honors or awards received
- Transcript from the applicant's most recent academic program (unofficial transcripts will be accepted)
- Essay of not more than 500 words outlining the applicant's interests and future goals in archival administration
- One letter of recommendation (may be submitted separately by recommender)